Lately I meet new friends in my son's school. We have something in common, interests in baking. We meet and had baking session while our kids were playing around and had fun together. One of them wanted to make savoury pie. Therefore I made this mushroom chicken pie and share the recipe today.
Like my previous pie crusts recipe I used to make ahead and keep in fridge overnight. This will give flaky crusts. The pie crust is pre-baked before used. Make sure the crust has cool before add in chicken filling.
200g all-purpose flour
100g cold butter, diced
1 egg yolk
A teaspoon or more egg whites (if the crust is too dry)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
200g chicken thigh, diced
Some shimeji mushrooms (about 70g), cut half if too long
Handful of green peas
1 teaspoon thyme
3 teaspoons corn flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Egg yolk for brushing
1. In a mixing bowl, add in flour. Add the diced cold butter and rub with hand till form crumbs.
2. Add in the yolk and mix till blended. Check by gather the crumbs with hand. If easy to form into lumps means the dough is right. Only add in egg whites (a teaspoon at a time) if the dough is too dry.
3. Gently gather all the lumps into a ball. Do not knead as kneading will cause hard crust. Divide the dough into 2 portions, one larger in size for making the base, with other one smaller (about 110g) for the top. Wrap separately with cling wrap and rest in fridge at least 30 minutes.
4. Bring the big portion dough out from fridge. Roll out the dough between cling wrap (for easy transfer) to a round shape, slightly bigger than 8-inch pan. Transfer the roll out dough into pan with the help of cling wrap. Remove the cling wrap, gently pressing dough to fit. Trim the edge. Prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour before used (I kept mine overnight).
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion and sauté until soften. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Add chicken and continue cook till meat turn pale. Follow by mushroom and green peas. Sprinkle thyme and combine well. Cook until the mushroom turns soft.
2. In the meantime, mix 2 tablespoons of milk with 3 teaspoons of corn flour. Set aside.
3. Pour the rest of milk into the mushroom and chicken mixture. Add salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil. Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook to your preferred consistency. Turn off the heat. Transfer the fillings into a large bowl and let it cool for a while.
1. Remove the pie pan from fridge. Line with baking paper and place ceramic beads, or beans, or rice on top. Transfer to the preheated oven (200C) for blind-baking, about 15 to 20 minutes, until the edge becomes lightly brown.
2. Remove the pie shell from oven. Put away the beads and leave aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile roll out the smaller dough disc into a circle similar to the size of the mould.
4. Spoon the filling into the shell and cover with the dough disc. Crimp the edges to seal. Keep the trimmed dough for decoration. Cut few slits on top of pastry. Use the trimmed dough for decoration. Apply egg wash on the pie.
5. Bake in the preheated oven at 200C for about 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Enjoy!
Pineapple Rolls (Nastar) with homemade pineapple jam for sale.
Chinese New Year is around the corner and most of us are busy with the preparation. This year I am taking orders for pineapple rolls with homemade pineapple jam. Comes in a small container with 40 pieces. For those who resident in Kuching area interested to place order, please inbox me at email@example.com