Moringa/ drumstick leaves are commonly used in South Indian cuisine. The leaves are used in dals, korma and sambhar. They are added to variety of curry dishes by mixing with coconut, poppy seeds, and mustard too.
Aarthi, blogger friend of Yummy Tummy introduced her favourite dish with drumstick leaves, Drumstick Leaves with Coconut & Shallots. This dish is from the region of kerala, India. It has its unique flavour and taste. For me this dish is great to pair with plain rice and porridge.
Adapted with minor modification from Yummy Tummy
Moringa/Drumstick Leaves with Coconut & Shallots
3 cups moringa (drumstick) leaves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
5 pieces shallots, sliced thinly
1 spring curry leaves
Salt and sugar to taste
(B) To grind (coconut mixture)
1 cup fresh desiccated coconut
1 fresh chilli padi (or more to taste)
5 pods garlics
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 pieces shallots
1. Grind all ingredients (B) to a slightly coarse paste without add any water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok/pan. Add in mustard seeds, shallots, curry leaves and fry till fragrant.
3. Follow by drumstick leaves and sauté for about 10 minutes till wilt. Season with salt, sugar and mix well.
4. Add the pureed coconut mixture and mix everything together. Bring to simmer for 5-10 minutes while stir in between. Cook till all the ingredients/ flavour merge together.
5. Off the heat and this dish is ready to be served.
To find out health benefits and more on moringa plant do refer to early post-Moringa Oleifera - Miracle Plant ?