A lot of readers are interested on making own fish cake. This time I will show with the pictures and video. Hope it helps.
I roll the fish paste with bencurd sheet. Then fry till golden brwon.
Do refer to here for method on shaping fishcake.Fresh mackerel fish (weight about 1.5kg)
* Not all mackerel fish is suitable for fishcake. Do ask the seller for the right fish.
~Salt water mixture
2 tsp salt
* Dissolve and set aside. Not all is used.
1. This is the type of mackerel used for fish paste. This fish is big, more than 2kg. It can’t fit into my 32cm wok. Ha..ha..
2. Rinse well to clean. With a sharp knife cut the sides of the fish. Then remove the meat with the skin still attached as shown.
3. Scoop out the meat from the skin and bone with spoon. Do scrape from tail towards head direction. This is to avoid removing meat with the 'strings' attached. It will affect the texture of the fish cake.
4. Place the meat on the chopping board (do it by batches). Sprinkle some salt water, pepper and chop the meat with“BACK” of your knife (not the sharp edge). Adding salt water little by little during the chopping process. The paste is ready once turns very fine (as below). Remove and put in a big bowl (I used wok). Repeat this process till all finished.
5. Lift up the fine meat and bounce against the wok (bowl). Hope this video will help.
6. You can do it in batches. If you find the fish paste stick on your hand scrape away with spoon. Then, wet your hand with salt water and continue the “bouncing”process. Fish paste is ready once turns springy.
7. This fish paste is ready to be stored.