Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Golden Angkoo

Pin It Now!
 
Everyone, Happy Chinese New Year! This will be my 1st post after back from New Year holiday in Peninsular Malaysia. I’m not travelling anywhere just spending the time with friends and family. Away from home I can’t bake due to lack of “utensil” and “ingredients”. However I can’t sit still without playing with flour and dough. I make quite a lot of steamed buns. I’m happy that those steamed buns are well received by my in-laws.

My mother-in-law has quite numbers of angkoo moulds. Some of them are passing down from her mother. I love the mould’s patterns. Therefore I decided to make some angkoo kuih.

I still remember the 1st time I asked my mother-in-law about recipe of angkoo kuih. She said she doesn't have the recipe. She use everything needed and adjust accordingly. I'm sure most of our elder like her making kuih base on their experience.

 

During the recent visit hometown I have the chance to make angkoo with her. I'm using pumpkin as part of the dough. Since I don't have weighing machine here I used bowl as my guide.I used equal amount of pumpkin purée and glutinous rice flour. Based on last experience of purple sweet potatoes angkoo I judge the doneness of the dough. It works really well.



With my mother-in-law help and tips we manage to get the angkoo ready very fast! Since we not making a lot, we used the peanut cookies as filling.

I will share some of the tips that I learned.


Reference from my mother-in-law 
Ingredients: yield about 13 pieces
(A)
1 bowl pumpkin purée
1 tbsp sugar
1 bowl glutinous rice flour
Some peanut cookies as filling (13 pieces for 13 angkoo)
 

(B)
Some vegetable oil for greasing banana leaves and brushing the angkoo

 
Method:
1. Steam the pumpkin till soft. While the pumpkin is hot, mash and mix together with the sugar till dissolve.


2. Add in the glutinous rice flour. Mixing with spoon/spatula by pressing the pumpkin against the flour. This is to help event coating. Do add some pumpkin purée if the batter is dry.


3. Gather all the dough pieces into one. Slightly knead till form smooth and not sticky dough.


4. Divide into individual portions. Wrap each dough with a piece of peanut cookies (filling of your choice).


5. Roll the ball in the glutinous flour (tips 1: Coat the ball with flour instead of greasing the mould. This is to prevent dough stick on the mould). Press the ball in the middle of angkoo mould. Press evenly and knock out.


6. Place the angkoo on greased banana leave. Brush the surface with oil (tips 2: Brush the angkoo before steam and not after. This step can get shining looking angkoo and prevent stick to each other at the same time).


7. Bring water to boil. Turn down to medium heat and steam the angkoo for about 8 minutes.

Why not prepare this golden angkoo as one of desserts ? I’m submitting this post for Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) hosted by Wen of Wen's Delight and  for Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by Sharon.




5 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea! So much easier to form the angku with a cookie inisde instead of loose peanuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very lucky to have such a skillful mother-in-law. She must have lots of experience in ang ku kueh. These tips are really useful to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fantastic! Happy cny to u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips and make it like so easy! Bookmark to try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So innovative! What a great idea for the filling. Love it. Thank you so much for joining us once again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...