Friday, November 26, 2010

Saffron Chiffon Cake

Pin It Now!





I have a bottle of saffron sitting in my pantry for few months. It was bought by my husband during his business trip to US. I’m wondered what to do with it. He suggest why not use in chiffon cake? Hm… as I know saffron normally used in cooking dishes.

In order to find out more I surf Wikipedia for further information. Then I come to know saffron bun , saffron dessert and even ice-cream! Therefore it is possible to use saffron in chiffon cake.

Ingredients

(A)
4 egg yolks
1 tbsp (15g) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g vegetable oil
140ml of milk
Pinch of saffron
*add the saffron into warm milk. Sit for 10mins.
 
(B)
100g cake flour or low protein flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

(C)
5 egg whites
3 tbsp (45g) sugar
* I reduced the sugar to suite my taste. You can add 1 tbsp more if you like it sweeter.

Methods
1.      Pour egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk till sugar dissolves.
2.     Add the remaining ingredients salt, oil, saffron milk into the bowl. Stir well.
3.     Fold in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix till smooth.
4.     In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually (1 tbsp  at a time) and beat till stiff.
5.     Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporated.
6.     Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
7.     Pour into 20cm chiffon mould.
8.    Bake at 160C for 40-45 mins.
9. Immediately invert it after removal from oven. Leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould.

This recipe is similar to my previous post Brown sugar,"gui hua" Chiffon Cake which I used All That Matters pandan chiffon cake as reference.


I‘m submitting this post to  Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cake (Nov2010).


2 comments:

  1. In my country saffron in baking is very christmas-y so a saffron chiffon cake is perfect for this time of year. It probably comes from Lussebullar (saffron buns eaten at the Saint Lucia holiday, they're sometimes called lussekatter - lusse for Lucia and katter means cats). Before I was an adult, I had never heard of using saffron in savory cooking.

    It'll be nice to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bottle of saffron sitting in my pantry for few months. It was bought by my husband during his business trip to US. I’m wondered what to do with it. He suggest why not use in chiffon cake? Hm… as I know saffron normally used in cooking dishes. hp laptop backpack price , ac kambal price in pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...