My sons’ school is having party for Hari Raya cum Merderka Day celebration. Parents are required to prepare food for the party. This time I prepare flower buns with and without chocolate filling and mini heart shape chocolate cake. Here I like to share recipe on the flower buns with chocolate filling.
I used the chocolate filling recipe from Carol blog which I bake before in previous posts (Marble Chocolate Loaf Bread and StrawberryMarble Loaf Bread). This time I divide the filling into two portions. This will help me on the shaping process.
Adapted and slightly modified from孟老师的 100 types bread cookbookIngredients: about 40g x 12 pieces buns
~ Chocolate filling
50g cooking chocolate
20g margarine/ butter
(B)20g bread flour
10g cocoa powder
5g corn flour
1 egg white
~ Bread(A) Custard paste
15g bread flour
(B) Main Dough250g bread flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
25g margarine/ butter
Methods:~ Chocolate filling
1. Melt the chocolate and margarine via double boiler method. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift in all the flour from (B). Then add in milk gradually and sugar. Mix well. Follow by melted chocolate, margarine mixture. Lastly add in egg white. Whisk till all well combine.
3. Cook the mixture on stove at low flame. Do whisk constantly while heating up the mixture. The chocolate filling is ready once the mixture turns thick (obvious lines appear on mixture surface as you stir).
4. Divide the filling into two portions. Transfer them on cling wrap separately. Cover with cling wrap and leave aside to cool (about 3-5minutes).
5. Roll out the two portions of filling into square (about 10cm x 10cm). Wrap and keep in the fridge to set.
1. Put the yolk, sugar and bread flour in a bowl. Slowly add in the milk and stir to combine.
2. Cook the mixture on stove at low flame. Do whisk constantly while heating up. The paste is done once become thick.
3. Remove from heat. Cover with cling wrap. Leave to cool. Store in fridge for 1 hour.
1. Add the custard paste with all the ingredients (B) except margarine into kneading bowl. Knead till form dough. Add in the margarine and continue knead to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and leave to rest for 1 hour 15 minutes.
2. Transfer the dough onto working surface. Slightly knead to remove excess air bubbles. Divide the dough into two portions. Shape into balls and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough into square (about 2 times bigger than chocolate filling).
4. Remove the chocolate filling from fridge and place in the center of the roll out dough. Wrap the filling like parcel.
5. Then roll out the parcel 2 times bigger than the original size. Fold 1/3 to the middle. Fold the other 1/3 on top. Repeat the same process for one more time. Do refer to Carol blog for the steps details.
6. After the folding process, roll out the dough into rectangle shape (about 30cm x 10cm). Fold into half (for easy cutting). Cut the dough into 6 equal strips.
7. Braid the strips into flower shape. Repeat the same process for the other portion of dough. Place the buns on a grease pan and leave to rest for 45 minutes.
8. Bake in preheated oven 180C about 10-12 minutes.
9. Remove and cool on wire rack.